This project is one of the largest and most important cultural ventures ever designed, planned, and built in Puerto Rico.
The museum complex is composed of four elements. The first is the restoration of a historic municipal hospital built in 1922, where the museum’s permanent collection is housed in 14 exhibition galleries. The second is the 100,000 sq. ft., 5 story addition, called the East Wing, which houses temporary exhibition galleries, restaurants, technical and administrative offices, a 3 story Atrium called the Great hall, and the 450- seat theater/auditorium. The third element is a 600 spaces parking lot, which will serve the museum as well as adjoining government offices. the fourth element is a large 1 acre park/sculpture garden on the eastern edge of the project property, which acts as a passive landscape and will be used for concerts, festivals, public events, and outdoor recreation.